Cornerstone Baptist Church has magnificent and
impressive facilities. Our sanctuary is famous
for its' warm rich and elegant structural
design. Kindly visit the virtual tour before
leaving the Cornerstone web site, and view the
newly renovated facilities. Our congregation
has grown from a few people in 1917 to in excess
of 1500 members today.
Cornerstone is more than the impressive
facilities. The church is its' people - from
our precious infants to our cherished seniors
filled with the love of God and for each other.
An impressive Pastor leads us, along with
very capable assistants and associates, a
devoted staff and outstanding Boards of
Trustees, Deacons and Deaconess
The church has some sixty-five Boards, clubs and
organizations that offer every member a
mini-home where they can expand their talents
and indulge their special interests
The church has a large and active Sunday school
program, including a month long Vacation
Bible School during the summer, which is free to
outstanding Music Ministry supports five choirs
for every age and musical ability - and so much
more....visit our online calendar for scheduled
services, musical events and programs. Our
church home is a place in which the motto
"Welcome and Worship Are Warm" has real
meaning. The congregation respects its seniors,
nurtures its young, values every member and
welcomes all who enter. Our corner at Dr. Sandy
F. Ray Blvd and Madison Street is a place of
love, worship and caring. We invite you to read
on, visit our history, do the virtual tour, and
check out the Cornerstone clubs and auxiliaries
here on our Web Site. We invite you to come for
a visit to share the love.
year 1917, in the borough of Brooklyn, New York,
as bombs and bullets were being hurled across
the continent of Europe, our Heavenly Father was
planting seeds of courage in the hearts and
minds of some Christian soldiers that were
determined to live for Christ.
the Holy Spirit, a small group went from home to
home and held their first meeting at 933 DeKalb
Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, in the home of Mrs.
M. Freeman. This group continued to worship
together and on September 10,1917, the
Cornerstone Baptist Church was organized and
dedicated to the Service of God.
The Reverend William H. Rodman was the founder
and first Pastor. On May 3, 1920, a meeting was
held to organize this body into a permanent
six Baptist Churches which formed the
Recognition Council, officially recognized
Cornerstone Baptist Church on June 9, 1920, by
holding a public service. The financial offering
for this service was five dollars.
Reverend Rodman was called from labor to reward
in February, 1921. Later that same year Reverend
A. R. Artis was called to pastor Cornerstone. He
served until May, 1922. The Reverend J. J.
Jenkins became pastor later in 1922 and served
until 1925. He was followed by the Reverend J.
R. Williams, who passed away on June 16,1929.
The Reverend Thomas Willis Fentress was then
called to pastor. Under his pastorate the church
moved to 688 DeKalb Avenue, and in 1932
Cornerstone moved to its first church edifice at
Gates Avenue and Irving Place. The word spread
of a place where "Welcome and Worship Are
Warm" and grew to be one of Brooklyn's
the twelve years of Reverend Fentress' ministry,
many strong soldiers began to emerge. . . Deacon
Cyril A. Davis, Deacon Allen Jordan who served
as both deacon and trustee, Deacons William
Holley, Conrade Scott, Mrs. Carrie E. Moore,
Mrs. Mary N. Barnett and others.
1941, the Reverend Fentress was called to rest
from his labor. We thank God for his life and
April 1, 1944, the Reverend Dr. Sandy Frederick
Ray who had pastored three churches and was
pastor of the Shiloh Baptist Church in Columbus,
Ohio, was called to Cornerstone. The Cornerstone
congregation had grown so large the church
edifice at Gates Avenue and Irving Place could
no longer accommodate us.
December 28, 1944, a contract was signed for the
Lewis Avenue Congregational Church Parish which
would accommodate our parishioners. The purchase
price was $29,000.00 and renovation cost was
$28,000.00. On June 10, 1945, the march from the
old church to the new took place under
"SHOWER OF BLESSINGS."
Dr. Milton K. Curry, Sr. preached the first
sermon in the new edifice.
the thirty-five year ministry of Dr. Ray new
buildings were purchased and erected to house
our church office and the pastor's study. The
church parsonage at 1281 President Street was
purchased in 1956. The Cornerstone Educational
Center, 289 Lewis Avenue (now Dr. Sandy F. Ray
Boulevard) was completed, dedicated and opened
to the public May 29, 1966. The Reverend Dr.
Sandy Frederick Ray fell asleep on April 11,
the period from May, 1979 to November, 1981, the
Reverend Henry G. Scott, Assistant to Dr. Ray,
served with distinction as Minister-In-Charge.
November 14, 1981, the Cornerstone Baptist
Church Family held an election and unanimously
elected the Reverend Dr. Harry Starks Wright, a
Pastor, Dean and College President, to the
Pastorate of Cornerstone Baptist Church. He is
our seventh pastor.
March, 1982, Dr. Wright officially began his
ministry at Cornerstone. God has given him the
message of love, not only to speak it, but to
live it. Following a Pre-Installation Luncheon
at the Waldorf Astoria on July 24, 1982, Dr.
Wright was installed as Pastor of Cornerstone
Baptist Church by the Reverend Dr. Gardner C.
Taylor, Senior Pastor, Concord Baptist Church of
Christ, on Sunday, July 25, 1982.
There is no doubt in our minds, Dr. Wright was
sent by God to take hold of the spiritual baton
passed on to him to continue this
Gospel Journey of Joy.
As we journey through this 21st century, we look
back in admiration and appreciation to the
Cornerstone pioneers who paved the way for us to
better serve the present age and to be
"A Witness For
August 3, 2003, our beloved Pastor Harry S.
Wright retired. His successor, The Revered
Lawrence Aker took the reins and presently
serves as Pastor of Cornerstone Baptist Church.